Give partnerships time
Brand new partner programs do not belong in the existing functional GTM.
And experiments have no place in the day-to-day functions of the teams who are driving 90% of lifeblood revenue.
People, processes, tooling, and value must be worked out, documented, and then transformed for those teams.
Give it time; partnerships are for the long game.
Thanks for contributing to this section of the PhD, Jessie Shipman!
A Nearbound sales story
My son wanted a job at a gym - he's the AE in the story. I knew the owner - I'm the partner (and Partner Manager in this case).
He applied cold, not knowing I had a relationship. And when I told him, he didn't know what to do with the info.
So I offered him three steps:
- Ask me for intel
- Use the intel to send something custom, not just a cold application
- Ask me to put in a good word for him
Step three wasn't needed. He sent a simple text using the intel I gave him, mentioned me, and got a coffee meeting which turned into a job offer.
But like most AEs, he didn't know I had this connection, and even when I told him he didn't know what to do with it. It seemed superfluous or even a distraction.
Partner Managers have a key role to play. Not to annoy AEs with a bunch of info and tasks not relevant to them. But to give simple steps at the right time to bring in partner intel and influence at the right moment.
That's Nearbound sales.
But wait, there's more!
Kevin Linehan pointed out something else that's key...
Partner Managers can't try to force AEs into deals with partners! Their job is to help AEs access partner intel on deals they are already working.
People buy from people
They buy from people who've been to the places they are trying to go.
Networks. Communities. Events. "Watering Holes" as Jay McBain puts it.
It’s where people go to learn, grow, and belong.
--> Relevance (what’s happening that I need to be aware of)
--> Opportunities (what are my people doing, and how can I get involved)
--> Answers (what can I learn from people like me who share the same struggle/goals or have been to where I am trying to go?)
--> Recommendations (what am I not doing/utilizing that I should be)
Watering holes are where questions are asked, conversations start, decisions are born, and actions are formed.
Now, I get the honor of going all-in with my new partners in crime Jared Robin and the team at RevGenius!
The Nearbound era is upon us, and we are taking the conversation on how to drive revenue and sell together to the people who own the accounts. Sales.
Over the course of this year, we're going all in on developing the Nearbound Sales plays the world is starving for.
Do you want to change how sellers work with partnerships?
Go to the sellers. Help them. Understand them.
Let's unite partner peeps and sales peeps to build a world where everyone can win together!
Honored to give it our all and partner with RevGenius and my homie Jared to help make this a reality.
-- Jared Fuller
- Firneo - Last day for applications to Firneo's Certified Partnerships Professional Spring 2023 cohort. Learn the frameworks and tactics to excel in every facet of your partnerships role. Apply now.
- SaaS Connect – April 19 -20 – Where SaaS partnership leaders meet to connect the market. PartnerHacker's Ademola Adelakun and Will Taylor will be there! Register here for a $50 discount.
- HubSpot x Reveal - How to be Successful in a Large Ecosystem - April 25, 2023, from 2pm - 2:45pm EST - Learn how HubSpot's app partners have driven more revenue and increased retention by investing in the HubSpot ecosystem. Register here.
- Contractbook x Aptitude 8 x Reveal - Leveraging Nearbound Data with HubSpot – April 26th, 2023, from 3pm-4pm EST. Join Connor Jeffers of Aptitude 8, Per Allin of Contractbook, and Jared Fuller as they share how to unpack the secrets of Nearbound data so you can win in 2023. Register here.
- Partner Playbooks - April 27th, 11 AM CT – The Event Led Playbook for Partner Managers & Marketers! Mark Kilens (CMO of Airmeet) is meeting up with Justin Zimmerman (Partner Playbooks) to share how managers and marketers can drive leads, sales, and new partners with events and webinars! Register here.
Meme of the Day
Don't let a partner pro flounder; share the PhD
Help a friend, and share the PhD; we'll get you some PartnerHacker swag while you're at it.
Enter your email on our referral page to get started.